The application form is now closed
Stipends to help cover travel costs and other expenses associated with attending the Colloquium are available for two full-time students who would like to learn more about Cochrane and become an active contributor to Cochrane.
Funds are limited, so applicants should explore partial or full funding options from other source(s), such as your university or the Cochrane Group with which you are involved. Before submitting your stipend application, please read the following criteria and application instructions carefully.
Individuals who wish to apply for a stipend must be:
- Full-time students, living and studying in a low-, lower-middle-, and upper-middle-income country (LMIC and UMIC). You will be required to submit a signed confirmation from your university confirming your student status.
- Recommended by a Cochrane Group (Review Group, Field, Network, Centre) or an individual highly involved with Cochrane. You will be asked to request a letter of support from the Cochrane Group that you are most closely associated with (see below for details).
Application recommendations and limitations
- Partial funding: to be able to fund attendance of many and varied consumers to the Colloquium, our preference is to provide partial support only. Your chances of receiving a stipend are increased if you are able to cover part of the costs yourself and/or from other sources. The application form will ask for information on other sources you have contacted to request funding.
- You can only recieve funding if you are a full-time student living and studying low-, lower-middle-, and upper-middle-income country (LMIC and UMIC) as as defined by the World Bank.
- You cannot recieve funding if you are employed by a Cochrane Group.
Assessment of applications
Applicants will be assessed according to the following criteria:
- Planned contribution(s) to Cochrane's work
- Contribution to the Colloquium programme
- Benefits of attendance to your studies and university
- Ability to raise funds to support attendance
- Full-time student status
- Residency in an LMIC/UMIC
- Recommendation from a Cochrane Group
What costs are covered?
Funds may be available for one or more of the following expenses:
- Travel to and from Edinburgh (most economical return fare), up to £1000
- Accommodation at one of the Edinburgh hotels for a maximum of four nights, up to £500 in total
- Registration fee, which entitles you to attend all sessions, conference materials, lunches and coffee breaks from 16-18 September 2018, including attendance at the Welcome Reception and Gala Dinner
- Allowance for ground travel and meals not included in the registration fee, up to £25 per day
Stipends recipients will need to
- Attend the full event
- Become a Cochrane member
- Produce a report on their experiences at the Colloquium
- Produce a blog for Students 4 Best Evidence on their experiences at the Colloquium
How to apply
- Submit your application (download the application form)
People who wish to be included in the selection process are required to complete the application form and submit it to email@example.com
- Signed letter stating full-time student status from your university
- Signed letter of support from a Cochrane Group
We require a letter of support from the Cochrane Group who can best explain your role in the organization and how your attendance at the Colloquium will be of benefit.
Please submit the letters alongside your application, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications: Monday 7 May 2018
Notification of accepted applications: 1 June 2018
Please note: DO NOT register for the Colloquium before you receive notification of the result of your stipend application.
Selection and notification of stipend recipients
All submitted applications will be screened and those meeting the eligibility criteria will be considered by the LMIC/UMIC Stipends Committee. The Committee is composed of active Cochrane members and staff.
Should you require assistance with your application, please contact email@example.com